Re: [opensuse-project] Draft of Desktop Policy
  • From: Peter Czanik <pczanik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 18:18:29 +0200
On 8/5/2009 at 09:46 AM, Kay Schenk <kschenk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Patrick Shanahan wrote:

* Joe Harmon <jharmon@xxxxxxxxxx> [08-04-09 16:06]:

Why not let the user make that choice?

Explained *many* times but you have not accepted the explanation.

Why do need to suggest anything?

YES! YES! YES! people. New users don't know WHAT to choose. Please try
to put aside your "political" convictions whatever they may be, and just
give new users *something*. If you don't, the installation process will
be even more frightening to them than it likely already is. KDE seems to
be a very reasonable choice, frankly.

This has nothing to do with political convictions. This has to do with trying
to be fair to both desktops.

A desktop is just the same, as Postfix/Sendmail/Exim/ssmtp, everybody
has a personal preference, still Postfix is the most popular, and used
in SuSE now days (while I still prefer sendmail). Desktop selection also
needs a reasonable default, KDE, so I don't get confused phone calls
late in the evening what to click here :) Saying this as an XFCE user,
which I don't find suitable to newbies... Choosing a different desktop
is a click of the mouse, or two for XFCE, which should not be a
difficult for anybody, who already has a personal preference.
Bye,
CzP