Re: [opensuse-project] Coming up with a good Policy ...
  • From: "Christian Jäger" <christian.jaeger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: 5 Aug 2009 17:21:39 +0200
Am Mittwoch, den 05.08.2009, 16:40 +0200 schrieb Lubos Lunak:

I fail to see how equal rights for both DEs present an offense to KDE.

That is because you fail to see that the rights are in fact not equal.
Please
see below.

If you regard KDE superior that is only your personal preference. I, on
the other hand, have switched from KDE to GNOME and never regretted it.

- when openSUSE ships several competing components, the most suitable,
or, failing a clear solution for that, the most popular one is
preselected - fact - the desktop selection is not handled the same way,
since there is not a clear decision on the most suitable component, and
the most preferred component is not preselected - fact
- this creates an exception that is not present elsewhere - fact
- this exception grants GNOME an advantage - fact

Utter nonsense.

1) The DE is NOT a component.
2) No DE is per se better suited for default.
3) Such choices impact user experience and are thus not a battleground
for petty desktop-environment fanboyism.

I must say, there is little to no sense in discussing with someone who
regards his desktop environment of choice as superior and wants to see
this reflected by preferred treatment for this DE.

The choice of desktop is a very individual one, based on personal
preferences. There is NO 'better suited' desktop, there is no reason to
prefer any one DE, except for satisfying your desire to see KDE as 'king
of the hill',