[opensuse-project] Coming up with a good Policy ...
  • From: Michael Meeks <michael.meeks@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 13:07:58 +0100
Hi AJ,

On Tue, 2009-08-04 at 14:16 +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
After reading all emails and having many discussions about the default
desktop topic, I've wrote up the following draft proposal (at the end of my
long email) and propose to enact it.

One of the things that most interests me about this debate is the
excessive argumentation and extrapolation from whatever percentage of
install-base, to the idea that we should substantially offend our
growing Gnome community. Personally, I'm pretty annoyed by claims that
openSUSE is, or should be a KDE focused distribution, whatever it's
history - that at least is my bias.

Having said that - all this talk of "policy", and logic, reason,
marketing and so on suggests to me that this decision is a highly
charged, multi-disciplinary, nuanced - and *extremely* non-technical
one. In fact, it is hard to discern any technical issue here at all -
the code change in question is utterly trivial, even for my basic ycp
skills :-)

Indeed, to me this looks like a simple conflict between three opposed
view-points[1] "KDE default, no default, and GNOME default" - with
apparently no substantial chance of compromise, and seemingly a lack of
clarity around who is empowered to make the decision. Indeed - to me, it
seems like we have the obvious compromise position selected already.

I believe we voted for a fairly independent board, which would help
resolve such conflicts and facilitate the decision making process. I for
one, would defer to their view on the matter - and no doubt (like the
Lisbon Treaty in Ireland) we will have multiple opportunities to vote on
this issue in future, if only as part of the board election process :-)

Have we even asked the board ? if not, why not ? if so, what did they
say ? and who should be the ultimate decision maker here ?

Thanks,

Michael.

[1] - it is amusing to see it regularly framed as a choice between only
two options: "obedience to (some people's perception of) the democratic
will of the majority vs. some unusual disobedience of that". To trot out
such a simplified view of democracy and politics is - frankly amazing to
me.
--
michael.meeks@xxxxxxxxxx <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot