Re: [opensuse-project] Decision making for the distribution
  • From: PGNet Dev <pgnet.dev+osproj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 08:46:20 -0700
Michael,

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 7:48 AM, Michael Loeffler<michl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
For openFATE the voting is a strong tool to speak up but we shouldn't base a
decsion just on a vote. There are more things to involve, eg. survey
results, mainainers opinion, quality aspects etc.)

I couldn't agree more! The challenge is, afaict, there's been a
tradition of those additional considerations being included -- but,
that process _seems_ to be waning.

As a small-business/server user -- almost by definition "in the
minority" -- although one that spends a lot of money every year on
openSUSE(and SuSE)-related people, products & services, I'm, frankly,
very concerned by the possibility that the distro evolves to a
managed-by-huge-committtee, majority-rules product.

Does this project really want to become another Fedora or Ubuntu?

There are countless instances of low-level bugs, or fundamentally
important design issues, that would never even register on an openfate
popularity-poll, or may well rankle somone's "feelings", but -- imho
-- should nonetheless be decided/directed by a much smaller group with
the appropriate business, functional or technical competencies.

Personally, I do NOT always agree with the decisions of those "smaller
groups" either -- but that mecahnism has led to a distro that, imho,
remains uniquely functional and valuable to my businesses' interests.