  • From: Peter Czanik <pczanik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 15:30:43 +0200

On Sunday 02 of August 2009, Alberto Passalacqua wrote:

The actual problems have *nothing* to do with the default desktop.

They *do*. We keep sending our largest user base a signal that there are
others that are considered more important for openSUSE.

My KDE fanatic friends reaction was to jump ship, when GNOME was pushed
in front and KDE back. They are now Kubuntu, Mandriva and one
adventurous went to PCBSD. I stayed with SuSE, as I use it from v4.3 and
switch desktops regularly (now mostly with XFCE, as I work with
relatively slow machines).
My personal conspiration theory is, that SLES/SLED defaulted to GNOME
because of US business users, and Novell wanted to give wider testing to
openSUSE GNOME by pushing back KDE under the cover of political
correctness. Which of course brought more harm than good, but easy to
defend in the name of "free choice". The rest of the components have a
reasonable default (MTA, text editor, etc.), which can easily be
changed, if someone has different need than the majority of the users
(like I use sendmail, joe, thunderbird, etc.). The same way the radio
button for KDE should be pre selected, which represents the majority of
openSUSE users.
Bye,
CzP