  • From: Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 15:28:59 +0200
Søndag den 2. august 2009 14:26:35 skrev jdd (kim2):
Martin Schlander a écrit :
And 3-4 years later, the only thing that has been achieved is chasing
away a lot of KDE users - without attracting a great many GNOME users.

do you really think so? what is the kde distro users could join going
away from openSUSE?

Where do you think Kubuntu got all their users from? ;-)

Canonical may not have invested much in KDE in the past - but at least Mark
Shuttleworth has the intelligence to publicly express appreciation for the KDE
community every chance he gets and appear wearing a KDE t-shirt at
strategically convenient times and such.

Whereas the "message" from Novell towards KDE users in recent years have been:
"We'd like to replace our existing users and contributors with new ones, thank
you, goodbye". Which is of course a very poor strategy - and not succesful
either. Everybody should know that keeping existing "customers" is much easier
than getting new ones.

Trueth is this default problem is minor, despite the lenght of the
thread :-)

Nope, it's a major problem.

It's a constant reminder to a majority of our community that they're not
really appreciated - only just barely tolerated - and that important decisions
are not made based on common sense or what's good for openSUSE, but on the
whims and political agendas of some invisble managers somewhere. Which of
course creates some animosity against the minority that abuses it's position
to force it's will on openSUSE against the best interest of the project.

It's a "usability" problem because new users are forced to make a decision
during install (or download of livecds) they're likely not equipped to make.
And if they make the wrong decision they'll have a harder time getting help
online later, finding documentation, suffer inferior Packman support etc.

It's a marketing problem because openSUSE lacks an identity and more often
than not, the press is confused and reviews a minority desktop instead of
reviewing what ~70% of openSUSE users use. It also makes

It's a support problem, because when trying to help a new user you have no way
to estimate the outcome of the desktop lottery.

The current situation is simply a mess. But it might be the best we may
have...