[opensuse-project] Re: openFATE feature 306967, KDE default
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 00:23:55 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 22:58:04 +0200, Stephan Binner wrote:

My point is rather what did the second change/decision improve? Did
GNOME numbers jump to the sky? Or did it rather alienate majority of KDE
users?

I would suggest that if the ordering of the options (or the inclusion of
GNOME in the main selection list) alienated some KDE users, then those
users who were alienated need to get a thicker skin and stop worrying
about the fact that the installation screen provides a *choice*.

As a GNOME user, I'm not bothered by the inclusion of KDE 3.5 and KDE 4.0
in the installation. People want to use one of those releases, that's
cool, it's not my preference, so I'm not inclined to select it as the
primary interface at installation time.

What I'm really curious about is what it is that those who *are*
threatened by the inclusion of a GNOME option (clearly not all KDE users
are threatened by this, so we're talking about what I sincerely hope is a
small group of vocal people) are so afraid of with the inclusion of GNOME
or the lack of a pre-selection being made for KDE. Are they afraid that
users might decide to use something other than KDE and that will somehow
cause resource allocation to the KDE project (which is not controlled by
Novell *or* openSUSE) to be diminished?

If you don't want GNOME as a choice (or want a pre-selected KDE
installation), then there's an answer to that: Use SUSE Studio to create
your own installation media that has what you want in it.

I would far rather see the project's focus not be diverted by what is
essentially a religious debate about which desktop is better, because
neither is better in an absolute manner, because users have different
needs. "Better" for me is not "better" for other users.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson