Re: [opensuse-project] Update Add-on CD/DVD (more tests)
  • From: Javier Llorente <javier@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 22:01:36 +0200
On Tuesday 28 April 2009 02:00:51 Dean Hilkewich wrote:
Javier,

Product Creator and Add on Creator are hopelessly broken in 11.1. They
both have several bugs that have not been fixed since it debuted. You
are better off to simply copy the updates and burn a plain DVD and then
add it as a source with higher priority then the other repo's. It
seems these YaST modules have been deemed not worthy to fix in 11.1.

Hi Dean,

Thanks for your response. I have made more tests... I have re-built the
openSUSE Update DVD Addon and I got the same results;

1. YaST still gets a few packages from the Addon and the rest from the
Internet.

2. I have given more priority to the Update Addon and still all the updates
were downloaded from the Internet.

3. The last test I made was disabling the openSUSE Update repo. Then it
installed the packages from the DVD, however I got the bad magic error when
installing most packages
"Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: error: unpacking of archive failed:
cpio: Bad magic"

Is it because some updates have to be installed before others?

Greetings,
Javier

Javier Llorente wrote:
Hello,

The other day one of my friends installed openSUSE 11.1/KDE 4.1.3 on his
laptop and afterwards he updated it. He had to download about 1.0 GB of
updates. And well, I thought that maybe we could have an update add-on
DVD to avoid big updates after fresh installs. This wouldn't be an
openSUSE respin or anything like that. People would download openSUSE as
usual and then the update add-on DVD et voilĂ !

I have done some test but weren't a complete success...
I made my own update add-on DVD by downloading the folders noarch, i586
and i686 from the update repository, then I used YaST Add-On Creater tool
to create the DVD image and I tried it on a fresh install of openSUSE
running on VirtualBox. Well, it updated a few packages but not
everything, and re-ran it and nothing happened. No updates for me :-(

Any thoughts on this?

Greetings,
Javier

--