Re: [opensuse-project] Configuring Novell/opensuse accounts [Was: Fate question]
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 21:18:19 -0700

Here is Manage Account link:
http://tinyurl.com/qtf6pj

I don't know how the heck that links changes to a Novell link, but it
does. I'm in paranoid mode, so I'll think it is a "phising" page that
emulates Novell page, somehow.

It uses a standard part of the HTTP protocol known as forwarding. The
server (in this case, the one at tinyurl.com) reads the code ("qtf6pj",
in this case) that is the key for the ultimate destination URL, looks
up that destination URL and returns a special response that includes
that URL to the browser which then transparently (i.e., without any
overt indication to you that this has happened) retransmits the GET
request to the "redirect" URL. The browser also replaces the original
tiny URL in the address bar with the new one.

If you don't like having no idea where you're going to be taken, you can
go to the TinyURL home page and set it to always show you the redirect
URL first and allow you control over whether or not you continue on to
that destination.

Randall Schulz