Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Code names
  • From: Mark V <mvyver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 13:23:37 +1000
On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 1:06 PM, Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 07 May 2009 12:43:28 +1000, Mark V wrote:

And easily resolved, by including a note to that effect in the installer
and on the website (I wonder if there are any stats about how many people
pull their downloads through opensuse.org vs. just going to a mirror and
downloading - guess that would be difficult-to-impossible to measure
since "just going to a mirror" implies they don't go to the opensuse
site.)

Hmm good point. If I understand things correctly there is a push to
improve zypper dup. Even if zypper dup is never good enough to be a
fully live update/upgrade path its improvement does raise the prospect
that increasingly people will get their updated openSUSE without
having to trawl web pages, download iso, burn iso and install from
scratch. In cases where an OEM sells the computer with openSUSE
installed you are not going to have them browsing the pages until they
seek out the forums....

So more prominent EOL advertising on the web page will be good only
for the first install, and only for some users - it doesn't address
upgrades.
Unless it remains the case that the official openSSUE upgrade path is
intended to remain: "Backup your data, Download the iso and make an
fresh install"

Cheers

I know I've seen some say they'd like an LTS policy/strategy from
openSUSE, kinda like Ubuntu's policy.  That said, the obvious reply is
"if you need LTS, then you should be looking at SLES or SLED rather
than openSUSE".

Agreed.
As I've been at pains to point out from the outset:  I'm assuming no LTS
type releases will made.  If they are introduced they'll break the
following description given to newbies: "The release with the most
distant EOL date is the most recent release" As I've said all along:
this is one issue that would need to be considered carefully.  For me, I
don't see it as a deal breaker - the EOL info is too important.

Agreed on all counts; the solution to the description problem would be to
add a qualifier that states "excluding any release that is tagged as
including long term support (LTS)".

Jim

--
 Jim Henderson