Re: [opensuse-project] Code names
  • From: jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 18:39:35 +0200
Mark V a écrit :

It seems everyone accepts the Major.Minor numbering is misleading,
does this mean it is going to be abandoned? Or will it continue and
just a name be added?

It should really be abandonned. We where always said that the name was
choosen by the commercials and we had no mean to change this. If we
*can* change it, go on.

I see two things.

* name: a name (word) makes it more friendly. It's valways better to
say I use "Amaranth" than XX.YY

* we have to use a numbered name, in addition to the color name, to
fix a date.

We can use the same sheme than Ubuntu use: starting date, but the idea
to use the *ending* date seems to me new and very interesting.

Ubuntu have LTS for Long Time Support, as it seems we can't have the
same, making obvious the ending time is a very good idea. openSUSE
have a very long support time, this could enphasise on this aspect.

"openSUSE Amaranth good until 11.11"

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net