Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Code names
Il giorno mar, 05/05/2009 alle 05.36 +0000, Jim Henderson ha scritto:

Concur, though arguably it's not necessarily a majority of community
members, but of the project team, who decides this based on the
discussion within the community.

At least that's how I see it. You often cannot have a community this
size work towards a majority vote on anything (certainly not the entire
community), that's why the project leaders represent the community in
making these decisions.

But a key part of the process (as I see it) is that community feedback
has to be listened to and those opinions weighed as part of the equation.

Not in all the cases I think. Or you really spend more time to listen
than to manage the community, to think what a few wants, instead than
thinking to the real common goal of the community. That's my point.

The community opinion is extremely valuable, but it has to be from the
community, intended as a significant set of users, and not from a
minority that can make a lot of noise for a not essential question. ;-)

Ask, listen for feedback, and then decide based on the feedback plus the
leadership's own opinions.

That's good, but again, for relevant choices!

Having been through product and program discussions myself where names
were selected, released, and then had to be changed because of a lack of
imagination, creativity, or deviousness/dirty mindedness on the part of
those deciding on the name, I can tell you that replacing a name after
the fact is much more difficult than making a release with a name that
isn't going to lead to people asking "what WERE they thinking when they
chose this name".

Well, I wonder if this issue would have become so big without the smart
comment of a "moderator" of our forums...

What you said about using strong tones to carry the message, well it is
OK, but not on such a delicate topic I guess. The right way, especially
from a moderator, would have been to contact openSUSE people BEFORE
writing on a public forum. I don't know if this was done or not, but if
not, I think it was a mistake or the intention was not too good ;-)

Best,
A.