[opensuse-project] openSUSE Board Meeting Minutes, March 25
  • From: Michael Loeffler <michl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 11:26:33 +0200
Board Meeting March 25
7-9pm UTC
Federico Mena Quintero (federico1)
Michael Löffler (michl)
Bryen Yunashko (suseROCKs)
Pascal Bleser (yaloki)

Status of old action items
* AI henne, create board blog a spotlight.opensuse.org
WIP
* AI all, get Member approval done
-henne and yaloki want to hack the thing that it becomes more
efficient

* Trademark guide lines, AI: zonker to do next steps for v2
-WIP, for feeback please use:
http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_Trademark_Guidelines_use_cases
- Boards view on cusomized versions
- limited use of openSUSE customized distro allowed (eg. for
friends, in my LUG)
- broader audience should ask for permission, esp. as they want PR
through the openSUSE mark like "You want to distribute media with
marks on them. Fine. But if you want prestige, come to us."

* Improvment of IRC cloak and email address handling
- suseROCKs and yaloki should become side admins at freenode
- WIP - already applied

* openSUSE conference
- will take place in Nuremberg, Sept 17-20
- zonker will establish a program committee
- AI: zonker to announce it

* openSUSE Foundation
The discussion about an own openSUSE foundation came up again on
several places. Especially for receiving donations and support with
them directly the community (travel, hardware etc.) a foundation
would be a huge step forward. Today it's pretty complicated and
everything needs to go through the body of Novell.
We're in agreement that such a move will be only succesful if we do it
together with Novell (in the sense of make Novell participating in
the creation of such a foundation).
Yaloki came up with some urls of organization which do "donation
collection" for other open source projects:
http://conservancy.softwarefreedom.org/
http://www.spi-inc.org/about-spi

AI: michl checks on foundation creation in Germany
AI: yaloki to get more inforamtion about the existing organizations

* Seperate openSUSE bugzilla
Not all are happy with the openSUSE bugzilla. We had a discussion
about pros and cons for having a seperate instance for openSUSE.
- Federico: as for me, I'll heartily recommend not having a
separate/different bug tracker - it's a major pain in the ass.  We
had that situation in bugzilla.ximian.com and an internal bug
tracker, and it sucks big rocks
- yaloki: Novell Bugzilla sucks big rocks for non-novell employees
and the unnecessary complexity of bugzilla might put off people to
file bugs
- our Bugzilla is just too complicated + ichain is not appreciated by
some people
- get rid of ichain, Lauch pad might be a possibillity
-> move to email discussion

Membership Advantages
- suseRocks came up with the idea to get each member a free LWN
account
AI: michl to ask zonker
--
Michael Löffler, Product Management
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH - Nürnberg - AG Nürnberg - HRB 16746 - GF: