[opensuse-project] Linuxtage Chemnitz Report
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 17:49:46 +0100

Hi,

we visited Linuxtage Chemnitz and presented openSUSE at the booth (Stephan
Binner and me) and via talks.

http://chemnitzer.linux-tage.de/2009/info/

It was a good show, they say about 2600 people were visiting and it was indeed
quite full, including good visited talks. Also a very nice building with
enough place for the show.

This is some collected feedback what we heard there (A lot of people brought
their notebooks to get some stuff fixed):

1. We fixed quite a number of notebooks wireless lan support. It was always
missing firmware of either Broadcom or Ralink cards. (The ones we are
currently not be allowed to ship).
openSUSE 11.1 comes even already a script which is doing this for Broadcom,
but it is not obvious to find and to use.
So we should definitily do something about this, coolo suggested to create
an update patch doing this.

2. "How can I update to KDE 4.2" question came very often, but we are good
prepared for this with our KDE4 wiki page, I think.

3. "Your KDE 4 looks like KDE 3" feedback (meaned as a complain), basically
because of the Aya theming, including the grey desktop bar.

4. One Gnome user (it was almost a KDE show) came because of problems
with yast-gtk (do I really need to click once for each update ?). Can be
solved via Control+A combination.

5. External SATA disks are handled as internal (aka fixed-mounted) disks due
to HAL/PolicyKit rules (which are not easy to change). This means they are
not mountable via desktop/HAL. When people are not able to run mount
manually, these disks are not supported by Linux from their point of view.

Apart from this we got as usual these questions often as usual:
* How new is this openSUSE / when will be the next release ?
* What is relationship of openSUSE and Novell ?
* What is the difference between openSUSE and SUSE Linux Enterprise ?
* No single discussion about the MS deal anymore, but general open
discussions about patent issues in general and our view of this.

Thanks got to the Linuxtage Chemnitz Team for this good show !

bye
adrian

--

Adrian Schroeter