Re: [opensuse-project] Organization of SW releases
  • From: Rob OpenSuSE <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 12:33:23 +0000
2009/2/6 Cristian Rodriguez <crrodriguez@xxxxxxx>:
Clayton escribió:
With this semi rolling release I think it would make scheduling easier
and also easier to keep the user base on a more common release level.
Is there an example where such a release mechanism is successfully used?

Gentoo? Kinda sorta.

He said successfully...

So we're happy to just play safe, not discuss different models that
might solve the real issues that are apparent?
There just seems to be a general FUD about change. So for example
"zypper dup" was there, but in 11.1 we don't commit solid behind it,
and now for 11.2 in the fate entry, noone seems to be really sure what
work needs to be done to make it "just work" for most end users.

The fast 6 month time release of Ubuntu & Fedora, with LTS & CentOS as
no fee stable alternatives, does give end users a way to avoid
bleeding edge, and move to a stable system with out subscription
charges for security updates.

10.3 had a long release cycle, it also appears to me to have been
highly unstable, until a few months after release.
11.0 & 11.1 released after fairly short time, and it was clear the
majority did not want that either.

There's a big danger, that openSUSE will look staler and staler, and
that we don't address the perceived quality issues, before the grand
release.