Re: [opensuse-project] Organization of SW releases
  • From: Eric Springer <erikina@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 18:25:09 +1000
On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 8:43 AM, Birger Kollstrand
<birger.kollstrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

There is discussions ongoing for the schedule of 11.2 and there is
always the connection to this and that big project.

Is it not possible to rearrange the distro release so that we are not
depending upon these release dates?

Would it be possible to have multiple levels of SW with different
kinds of release regimes?

The basic level would then be the operating system, and that would
define the naming of the release. So the release of the openSUSE 11.2
is connected to a specific kernel.

Then the desktop environments can be released and updated towards this
release whenever they are ready and needed. Like now, KDE 4.2 should
be made available to all users using openSUSE11.1 as soon as it's
cleared factory testing and openSUSE patching.

Then again applications can be released based upon build service
projects and feedback from users, maybe a voting system where there is
a need for a qualified number of votes stating this app is ready for
update.

With this semi rolling release I think it would make scheduling easier
and also easier to keep the user base on a more common release level.

There are maybe technical hurdles, bandwidth considerations etc. ?

(Taking on my flame protective gear...)

I'm a big fan of a rolling-release (done properly, so it's not painful
/ annoying) and/or having an independent release cycle for the "core
system". It's a much more natural way of doing things/testing, and
will give us a real edge over the competing distros.

I believe there are some technical issues (proper upgrading?) but
motivated primarily by marketing reasons (hard to market something
with minor changes)