Re: [opensuse-project] OpenSUSE 11.1 Review
  • From: "Rob OpenSuSE" <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 01:00:13 +0000
2008/12/23 Eric Springer <erikina@xxxxxxxxx>:

I'm writing a review of OpenSUSE 11.1 and having just written an early
draft of it -- I'd like to ask for some community feedback before
anything gets finalized. Perhaps replies to the criticism, back
stories, or anything else you think should be included / omitted.

There's a trick, to the DVD issue, you don't delete it.
Then you loopback mount it
/work/dl/rob/openSuSE/openSUSE-11.1-DVD-i586/openSUSE-11.1-DVD-i586.iso
/srv/openSUSE/openSUSE-11.1-DVD-i586 auto loop,ro 0 0
Finally you tell YaST that your repository is in the directory you've
mounted the ISO image on, in my case,
/srv/openSUSE/openSUSE-11.1-DVD-i586

This is far nicer than removing the DVD from the repository list, and
you can now export that mount via NFS, and make the DVD available over
the net to other machines, allowing network installs to DVD-less PCs,
and faster no-hassle software installation via the net.

I think you were a bit lucky with the hardware, lots of ppl on forums
and mail lists have problems with Audio, certain graphics drivers
performing poorly. I have a whole raft of stuff that is Bugzilla
worthy, the problem is more choosing where best to focus efforts.

As for the Usability, I thought the core YaST2 stuff was generally
good, though some of the new things, like the partitioner in stall are
rather confusing.