Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 11.2 schedule
  • From: Dean Hilkewich <deans.mail.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 14:48:38 -0600
Vincent Untz wrote:
Le vendredi 19 décembre 2008, à 22:03 -0600, Kevin Dupuy a écrit :

On Fri, 2008-12-19 at 13:21 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:

Sooo. First, a question: would a release at the end of July or in August
be possible? I think doing this would clearly mitigate the "we don't
have the latest GNOME" issue. I'd also like to hear what Zonker thinks
of promoting a new release during days that are usually really quiet
from a news perspective (mainly because people are away).

That would be my preferred option, to be honest.

I agree that releasing during quiet periods is definitely a nice thing
if we can do it, but do we really want to do another quick 6-month
cycle?

July-August would be 7-8 months, not 6 months. I would say it's okay,
but there are indeed quite a number of people willing something around
9-10 months.

Then, we have the option with a release at the end of October or in
November/December. This means releasing at the same time as
Ubuntu/Mandriva/Fedora unless we aim at December. Not sure it's good
(because it will likely mean less media coverage). And the cycle is a
bit long. (not even talking about the SUSE conference that should occur
in September)

As long as we release either before or after mid-October we should miss
the Ubuntu news frenzy. Fedora is more of a wild card, but late November
is probably a good bet for them. So pretty much anytime up until
mid-October, then from late October until the U.S. Thanksgiving week
(per what Zonker's said).

Anytime up until mid-October is not an option if we need four weeks
after GNOME 2.28.0. So it'd leave us with late October to US
Thanksgiving.

Or we keep the proposed schedule. And use Magnus' idea of creating an
add-on, but in a different way: release openSUSE 11.2 with GNOME 2.26
and create an (semi-?)official add-on for 2.28 that we release in early
October. Looking at this add-on could be interesting to see if it's
possible to ship an updated and working GNOME after less than 4 weeks
after the GNOME release. I don't know how the GNOME team (and more
generally, the users) would like the idea, but I find the challenge of
having the distro accept a big official update as an add-on quite
interesting.

By "add-on", what do you mean? An extra CD to download, or an online
update (like a Service Pack, basically)?

This is undefined as of now :-) It's up to us to define this if we want
to go this way. Intuitively, if we go this route, I'd like to see:

+ some re-spinned DVD/Live CD for GNOME (version 11.2.1, eg)
+ some online repository that people can add
+ some CD containing packages from this repository and that people
could put in their cd-rom drive, which would automatically propose
the update

(one issue I forgot to mention in my previous mail about this solution
is: what would we maintain? One or two versions of GNOME?)

How about just getting the Yast Product Creator to the point where one
can easily "re-spin" installation medium with the updated packages?

Add updated repos to repositories, open Product Creator, click option
to Update packages and create a new ISO. The needed tools to do such a
thing are already there, they just have to be glued together.

Dean Hilkewich