Re: [opensuse-project] Why Simultaneous Net & Box Set Release?
  • From: "Rob OpenSuSE" <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 16:46:38 +0000
2008/12/20 Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>:
There's some feeling been shown by Novell staff, that too few ppl are
testing Beta's and RC's.

Well, in my case I won't test on my hardware (aka bare metal install)
because I need a functioning system, and I can't take my computer down
for daily restarts to test the each build of the next release (it's a
fileserver, webserver etc.). As a compromise I install as many builds
as I can into a VM (mainly VirtualBox) and tinker there. Almost
always by the time I run into a bug it's already been reported.

The disadvantage of doing all my testing in a VM is that a lot of the
quirks of installing on the actual hardware will never show up.

My presumption was, that the applications have been reasonably tested
at some point, by builds on a stable system. So with the release, I'm
trying to tax the installer, and see how the kernel does on older
hardware, you know those boxes ppl have that keep going and going, but
aren't what developers are going to have on their desk or lap tops.

Yes, it's why I'm going to be planning my boxes with spare partitions
(for /boot & /), with most data held in LVM, that doesn't need any of
it's filesystems mounted (intially by installer anyway).

I've tried to test on quirky hardware, but issues I worked round with
10.3 (mostly libata/pata_* stuff), still need to be worked round.
Those are mostly things that have affected other installations, when I
search Bugzilla, I didn't have to open a new bug, but do a "me to" and
run tests.

It might be more effective to test vanilla kernel, and particularly
when they're in -rc mode, complain if there's regressions.

I don't know the solution... continuous updating the head as Gentoo
does? That approach has some major problems too.

Debian are probably the best example. The key commitment they make is
that you can upgrade, from an up to date "stable" release, to the next
via the distupgrade. Ubuntu claim that, but I've seen comment in the
forum that there's issues, at least with Kubuntu, which may be
expected given it's secondary status to GNOME.

What problems do you see in the rolling update approach? With online
update and OBS we seem to have progressed considerably in that
direction.