Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 11.2 schedule
  • From: "Benji Weber" <benji@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 19:50:55 +0000
2008/12/18 Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxxxxx>:
Am Donnerstag, 18. Dezember 2008 09:10:40 schrieb Rastislav Krupanský:
Hi everyone,

If i can say something.
I suppose we could wait for a new openSUSE survey, as we did in August -
http://news.opensuse.org/2008/08/21/last-call-for-opensuse-survey/ There
should be a question about schedule - how should developement period take,
or how long development schedule do you wish - whether 6,8,9... months etc.
Result could show which period plan would be ideal for most
users/developers.

Btw, i also prefer longer release time, for example 8 or 9 months. 6 months
is too short.

Oh, if you ask users they will want every 5 months a new release with tons of
new features that works exactly like the release before. It's not so
interesting what users prefer, this is something that is important for
the developing community. My person guess is that users will accept any
schedule as long as the outcoming release is good. And this is something
we need to find out: how much time do we need to be good.

If we're voting then I much prefer the longer ~10month+ release cycle length.

With only 6 months you're in feature freeze for half the year. Once
you add on time to do fixes to released products, time to have a
holiday, there's only about a month or so of time to do actual
development between freezes. Then it's difficult to actually develop
against it in that time (alpha) because there's a mad rush of changes
throughout the entire stack which keep breaking your software.

Longer release cycle has other benefits too. Less work for security
team with fewer versions to support concurrently; Ditto third party
packagers and ISVs; How many people really want to reinstall their OS
every 6 months. and so on.

Of course there's the argument that people always want the bleeding
edge, but I think we cater for most of those quite well with
unofficial packages in the buildservice and such. Changes spread out
more throughout the year might also help make factory more stable for
those who really want the latest, more people running factory can only
be a good thing.

--
Benjamin Weber