Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 11.2 schedule
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 18:38:59 -0600
On Wednesday 17 December 2008 02:13:42 am Jiri Srain wrote:
On Tuesday 16 of December 2008 23:28:41 Magnus Boman wrote:
On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 22:44 +0100, Stephan Kulow wrote:
Am Dienstag, 16. Dezember 2008 22:28:33 schrieb Magnus Boman:
Thought it might be worth mentioning it.

Limiting openSUSE to GNOME or KDE is just wrong. Interesting idea
though.

Hmm, would it be possible to have a base openSUSE system, and have
GNOME/KDE as addons? It wouldn't be *that* much of a difference compared
to the LiveCD's?

Well, technically spoken, yes. I don't think many users would like this
approach, installing from a single DVD is just too comfortable.

On the other hand, we might consider providing up-to-date desktop
environments as add-on products during the life cycle of the distro
(basically make an add-on from factory repo after new KDE/GNOME/whatever
gets released and stabilized).

Jiri

That's good idea in many ways:
- base distro would have to sync with smaller number of upstream projects
- the addon desktop CDs can be tested out of sync with main release
- current problems with last minute inclusion or time spent on backports are
out for good
- users that depend on physical media will get opportunity to have the newest
desktop without much work to download oBS repository

Is there any adverse effects?

--
Regards, Rajko