Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 11.2 schedule
  • From: Stanislav Visnovsky <visnov@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 09:34:56 +0100
On Tuesday 16 December 2008 22:45:57 Stephan Kulow wrote:
Am Montag, 15. Dezember 2008 16:08:41 schrieb Rob OpenSuSE:
2008/12/15 Michael Loeffler <michl@xxxxxxxxxx>:
First we talked about July '09 release to come close to an 8 months
release cycle. But KDE 4.3 is scheduled for release on June 30th and
probably an OpenOffice.org release will be out end of June as well -
both wouldn't make it into a July openSUSE 11.2. Therfor we're now
thinking about a September release.

Let us know what you're thinking about this.

I like the thinking, but I have tended to move to every other release
in past skipping 1 release, as twice yearly upgrades tended not to be
time effective, especially when important upgrades were available for
a previous release.

Psychologically, I'd like to see 2 RC's series releases, to encourage
more tester's who avoid 'Alpha' & 'Beta'. This could be at expense of
the last Beta's, giving time for wider testing of the kernel on real
hardware, with a chance for more fixes for less common drivers, making
it into the GM version, so the final release boots flawlessly on more
boxes.

Actually what I want to get away from with this release is Alpha, Beta and
RC. Our Alphas are usually not less stable than our betas and our RCs are
usually not 100% release material. So I want simple Milestones with goals
associated to it. These goals wouldn't be much different from what we have
now, but it would make it more clear IMO.

I like the idea very much. But thinking about it, it might be hard to beat the
drums early enough for upcoming release. But maybe "2 milestones to go" would
work. Definitely something we should try.

Stano