Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 11.2 schedule
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 19:32:01 -0600
On Tuesday 16 December 2008 05:01:32 pm Kevin Dupuy wrote:
On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 20:03 +0100, Stephan Kulow wrote:
Actually many complained that 11.1 had a too short release cycle - so
they did not really start testing because they hardly finished their 11.0
polishing and I guess that's right for many. And if you go with a may
release with many developers having prolonged christmas holidays and ask
for an extended RC phase to stabilize and translate, this gives very
little time over a kernel and a gcc update. Does pretty hard to sell to
users to me.

I agree with them. I tend to prefer longer release times, particularly
from a testing (some people like to use their shiny new release before
they go bug hunting in the next one ;-)), and from a marketing
perspective (2 to 3 releases a year, every year gets tedious to manage,
and overwhelms users).

I think the current openSUSE schedule (which has been described to me as
"3 releases over a period of two years", is that about right?) is a good
pace.

I tend to agree with Coolo.
It is getting hard to follow 6 months release cycle.
I barely had time to see 11.0 and it is already candidate for deletion.

One year with plan what subsystem can be changed and tested in Alphas, so that
we have Betas that can attract more people to start testing. Changes on boot
loader, kernel, packaging should not wait until Beta. It will give more time
for fine tuning.

I guess that I'm average enough, to say that majority use one (latest)
computer for all their needs, so they avoid to touch releases with major
subsystem broken, specially bugs that can make problems with existing
installation. That kind of breakage should be solved in Alphas, if possible.

--
Regards, Rajko