Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 11.2 schedule
  • From: "Rob OpenSuSE" <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 15:08:41 +0000
2008/12/15 Michael Loeffler <michl@xxxxxxxxxx>:

First we talked about July '09 release to come close to an 8 months
release cycle. But KDE 4.3 is scheduled for release on June 30th and
probably an OpenOffice.org release will be out end of June as well -
both wouldn't make it into a July openSUSE 11.2. Therfor we're now
thinking about a September release.

Let us know what you're thinking about this.

I like the thinking, but I have tended to move to every other release
in past skipping 1 release, as twice yearly upgrades tended not to be
time effective, especially when important upgrades were available for
a previous release.

Psychologically, I'd like to see 2 RC's series releases, to encourage
more tester's who avoid 'Alpha' & 'Beta'. This could be at expense of
the last Beta's, giving time for wider testing of the kernel on real
hardware, with a chance for more fixes for less common drivers, making
it into the GM version, so the final release boots flawlessly on more
boxes.

Has Linux grown up? In my view, the core parts kernel, compiler tool
chain, libraries, and most of the underlying system software has.
With Repo's providing easy access to big headline project releases,
there's less reason than every to release 6 monthly.

But that surrenders a marketing advantage to other community distro's.
Therefore perhaps some sub-releases for big items, that are big
downloads, and keep SuSE in the news, would help.

So perhaps there are plans for KDE4.2 for 11.1? May be that would be
a good stepping stone, with say issue of 11.1-KDE-4.2 install, and
provide a fall back position, should KDE 4.3 be significantly delayed
for some reason. That would cope with the GNOME release to, if an
11.2-GNOME-2.28 Live CD was planned. Most of the work is probably
done anyway, it's just sync-ing up the official installation media,
with what many users will do via online repository.