Re: [opensuse-project] Projects
  • From: Patrick Shanahan <ptilopteri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 21:22:05 -0500
* Susanne Oberhauser <froh@xxxxxxxxxx> [11-18-08 12:40]:
Patrick Shanahan <ptilopteri@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

* Susanne Oberhauser <froh@xxxxxxxxxx> [11-18-08 04:56]:

I agree with this.

And I wonder how the build server is really meant to be used as a
collaboration tool. I think having a clear common picture of that
would give me a better understanding of what is really missing.

Perhaps prior to an individual introducing a package, that package
particulars should be broadcast to a wiki/database for simi-automagic

s/simi/semi :^)

comparison of those already in existance. Would possible provide
information to preclude duplicated efforts.

Maybe, yes. Maybe the obs could also support people in dropping old,
outdated package versions.

Hermes could even annoy maintainers about hosting an old package
version. As it could annoy maintainers about new package versions
that are available.

Yet then you'd need a flag to tell 'Yes I know. This is the
maintained version, that needs to be here, too, for compatibility.'

And the obs could help users to find a 'good' package based on the
ratings Marko is working on or based on actual test results of real
users.

Or both.

Or all three of them.

There is many solutions to this.

And several ankles to it.

Ahhh, your spelling resembles mine :^)
or you have another agenda

So where's that place where we put this thinking down in a structured
way that at the end gives us not just technology but a way to jointly
provide prepackaged, tested open source software? On the distro of
your choice? And as part of openSUSE proper?

Appears the need for another wiki page with a call for collaboration.
There definitely needs to be an easy way to help channel work efforts
away from duplications.