Re: [opensuse-project] Novell internal programs onNON-OSSrepository? (ie Novell Client)
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 23:20:14 +0100
From: Joe Harmon <jharmon@>
are you sure about this? the 2.0 beta client for example installs on a
11.1 beta system (I'm on beta 5) with some hurdles (some symlinking).
But the novfs for example simply can't compile (the client ships with
2.0.0-504, whereas in the kernel, 2.6.27.5 is 2.0.0-440).

The 2.0 client includes novell-novfs which will cause problems during the
install because novfs is already in the kernel (since openSUSE >11.0) With the
2.0 SP1 client that we build for openSUSE 11.0, we removed novell-novfs.
However, the 2.0 SP1 client for openSUSE will >not run on openSUSE 11.1 or SLE
11 due to some build issues. We are working on those build issues right now in
hopes to soon have a >client for SLE 11 and openSUSE 11.1.

This argumentation sound very very flumsy... you report to much to managers I'd
say :)

As said, the novfs in the kernel is of an older version than the one shipped
with NCL2.0SP1 (beta), and the newer novfs does not build (missing
asm/semaphore.h, bailing out with semaphore.count afterwards).

Besides that, I could install it (--nodeps on novell-xtier, due to libfd
version mismatches.. some symlinking fixed it). Login works typically too.

Joe, if there is anything anybody from the community can offer for this to move
at a higher speed, please speak up. We are plenty out here, some with more,
some with less knowledge, but all of us with a lot of will to get our targets
moving.

Dominique