Re: [opensuse-project] I propose a packagers meeting
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 19:00:43 +0200
Le mardi 07 octobre 2008, à 18:31 +0200, Pascal Bleser a écrit :
Leo Eraly wrote:
At lot of this functionality is maybe already in OBS or could be added
to OBS.

IMHO it would be even easier to just discuss a bit about the model
(think "database tables and fields", if you prefer), a few features, and
whip it up with Grails -- scaffolding should be sufficient given it
would be very simplistic.. Grails generates the model, the CRUD
controllers and views and... add a plugin for authentication, that's it.

A simple CRUD web application with authentication for 2 or 3 tables is
done in a few hours.
And off the top of my head, a single table would even be enough, with
metadata about the package requests (website, description, license), a
status field (request, taken, done), and that's pretty much about it.
OK, add a "packagers" table with contact information about the packagers
who may pick requests from the queue.
That's.. dunno.. an evening or two.

The pain, as usual, would be to authenticate against iChain, as it isn't
open, can only be done from something hosted at Novell, etc...

If we would like to make more people contribute to contrib something
like that could be helpful.

Absolutely. We need better, more specific tooling, and for that we need
more software developers. And we need to get rid of iChain or have an
alternative gateway to it (e.g. OpenID or whatever).

Here's something I did for the GNOME Team:
http://en.opensuse.org/GNOME/OscGnome

It's a system built on top of the OBS and some dirty web pages (like
http://tmp.vuntz.net/opensuse-packages/obs.py) to know what's the
current status of packages maintained by the team, and to work all
together more effectively -- there's a small reservation system, eg.
Also, the osc plugin makes life much easier.

I don't have time to elaborate on this right now (I'm at hackfest), but
this is something I've been willing to generalize to the complete
distribution if possible. Which means pushing some features to osc/obs
later on.

I'll send a mail to opensuse-buildservice about all this when I'll be
back home, but you should still feel free to send questions ;-)

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.