Re: [opensuse-project] I propose a packagers meeting
  • From: Michal Marek <mmarek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 14:14:15 +0200
Bryen napsal(a):
On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 09:50 -0600, Stephen Shaw wrote:
I think it would be useful to gather all packagers together and have a
meeting. I think this would help maximize our efforts and help out new
comers to opensuse packaging. Maybe once a week on Wednesday.
Last night made me think about this. I packaged up the new gimp 2.6 for
factory and submitted it (which took some time to get everything
together). It was rejected because someone else already had done it.
If I had known that someone else was working on it, I could have put all
of that effort into another package.

I think that's a great idea. I also observed when several people worked
together trying to package a component for mouseTrap, only to discover
that after all their work, they realized someone else already did that

But in both cases a mail to opensuse-packaging "Is anyone working on
XYZ" would have worked as well, right? I'm not saying a regular
packagers meeting is a bad idea, but I think to avoid duplicate
packaging work, there are better means of coordination that having to
wait six days till the next meeting ;).