Re: [opensuse-project] How should we inform packagers about new upstream versions?
  • From: "Christian Morales Vega" <cmorve69@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 21:42:33 +0100
2008/2/27, Dirk Mueller <dmueller@xxxxxxx>:
On Wednesday 27 February 2008, Christian Morales Vega wrote:

> If the packager doesn't knows about the new version he can leave the
> package outdated for a long time. So would be good that, at some time,
> if an user finds the problem he reports it. But, how should be
> reported? There is any feature planned in the OBS to help with this?

I think the proposed way should be:

a) fork the package and update the version
b) the OBS should make it obvious for maintainers of a package that their
package got forked and notice it then and merge back the change.
Not a bad solution
- Even if the packager is busy users have a "backup" copy updated meanwhile.
- You are giving the needed corrections, not just complaining.
but don't call it "fork", people doesn't likes forks ;-) Shouldn't
just "links" be expanded to allow more changes than they allow right
now?

And, is a feature that "makes it obvious for maintainers of a package
that their package got forked" already planned? (I have no idea about
the OBS roadmap) If no, it could take some time, what should be done
meanwhile?

Anyway the users of the Build Service will be always a subset of the
users that report bugs. There is also the need of a solution for
"normal" users.

Other than that, I guess a bugzilla entry is the most obvious solution. but
we
do create the buildservice to make it possible for people to participate
actively :)

--
RPMLINT information under http://en.opensuse.org/Packaging/RpmLint