Re: [opensuse-project] fedora needs some deltarpm love :)
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 13:30:59 +0100 (CET)

The Saturday 2008-02-16 at 17:19 +0100, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

be great because deltarpm would really help feople who have slow
internet connections who do updates...

In that mater the suse team, and probably fedora and the rest, have yet to
solve another issue: downloading smaller rpms is a good thing, but
currently while checking for updates we have to download a lot of
"metadata", some megabytes, I think.

If somebody can devise a trick to make the checking for updates much
faster and with far less download bytes, that would be a very good thing
for all those with limited network connection. Or metered connection.

AFAIK this is beeing worked on - the new zypper in openSUSE 11.0 will be
able to handle preparsed metadata and those are much smaller. I assume
this has been discussed on the zypp-devel mailing list, please check the
archives,

Thanks! That's good news.
For me it's enough to know you are working on it. :-)

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.