Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Membership: a general comment
  • From: Kevin Dupuy <kevindupuy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 21:17:56 -0600
On Feb 11, 2008, at 9:24 AM, Roger Whittaker wrote:

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 02:59:23PM +0000, Francis Giannaros wrote:

[...]
since Roger wants us to think about the implications of the system
more than naming (from what I can gather -- correct me if I'm
wrong). In comparison to the amount of people that have already
applied, and/or others reading this, that's like a 2% objection, if
not less.

Yes - that's right: I'm not so concerned about what things are called
as about what they really are.

On membership, I believe that some threshold is necessary to prevent
"entryism", but that it should be set as low as possible, so that
anyone who has a legitimate reason to care about the project can also
vote for the Board. I also worry about the fact that a barrier to
membership both includes and excludes, and is contrary to the open
source ethos.

But I am also very concerned about the point that Cornelius made
regarding the dangers of having an electorate chosen by the very
people it elects. Most of the time, this would not be a problem. But
in deciding on the constitution of an organisation, it's the potential
problems that one needs to look out for. If there were major
disagreements or personality clashes in the future, this could
suddenly become a very big problem. And it's clearly not the right
way to go in principle: bodies which use this type of rule are known
as self-perpetuating oligarchies, which is not a good thing to be.

Roger Whittaker
roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://disruptive.org.uk

Personally, I agree that the Members should not be the only ones voting for the Board members. That's like saying only citizens of a country who perform certain hours of community service can vote, plus it is a small conflict of interest. But if we're going to talk about how the Board election should go, perhaps a new thread should be started.

--
Kevin "Yo" Dupuy | Public Mail: <kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hope for America: Ron Paul for President <RonPaul2008.com>