Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Membership: a general comment
  • From: Cornelius Schumacher <cschum@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 13:15:34 +0100
On Monday 11 February 2008, Francis Giannaros wrote:

"openSUSE, being an open and global community project, has
contributors and volunteers from all over the world. "openSUSE
Members" are specifically distinguished contributors who have brought
a continued and substantial contribution to the openSUSE project."

Do you agree?

Yes, the definition is clear.

I also don't think the word itself implies it. "Core
member" would, however, be even more confusing as it's used completely
differently in other OSS projects

Really? Where is it used completely differently?

Most open source projects. Like I said, "core contributor/developer"
generally refers to people working on the _core_ part of the project.
For example in KDE where you work, a core developer might be someone
who i.e. hacks on kdelibs,

I don't think that this is entirely correct. In KDE the term "core developer"
isn't only used for kdelibs developers. There are also many other projects
which use the term "core contributor" to refer to contributors who made
significant contributions, but don't necessarily refer to the technical core
of the project. See for example
https://mobileandembedded.dev.java.net/project_management.html, which
interestingly has a definition for "core contributor" which is almost
identical to how we have defined the "member" now.

whereas we don't want to restrict openSUSE
members to this core part only. We want translators, supporters, and
contributors of all kinds to be in theory eligible.

Yes, but I think that's taken care of by not using the term "developer".

--
Cornelius Schumacher <cschum@xxxxxxx>