Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Membership: a general comment
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 12:59:38 -0600
On Sunday 10 February 2008 09:48:46 am Bryen wrote:

There's also the chronic problem in any political situation.  Supporters
tend to be less vocal than dissenters.  Assuming that is the case here,
I would venture to guess many here have supported the Board's actions of
late.  And quite honestly, I would be somewhat embarrassed by any
outsiders looking in on our discussion here and seeing that we have
people who object to what amounts to a virtual pat on the back by the
Board of openSUSE's contributors.  And that's really what all this boils
down to.  The Board wants to show appreciation.  And I, frankly,
appreciate the Board's appreciation.

Me too.

I don't see this as much more than sign of formal recognition to people that
are active helping openSUSE community.

Though, maybe naming should be adjusted to reflect that is just the same
as 'honor roll' in US schools. It gives no additional rights, it doesn't make
you school representative in official sense, it is just plain "we (the
openSUSE community) like what you are doing and this is our way to say thank
you".

I really can't see much reason to object and to refuse email address.
It will not change real status for a bit, but it will be, just as honor roll
is schools, motivational factor and to the extent responsibility, to keep
that way.

People with long tradition with SuSE, SUSE, openSUSE don't need this kind of
motivation and recognition. They were motivated in different way for all
those years they contributed to SUSE and they will probably (hopefully) not
change now. The SUSE at the time they started was different, there was no
formal community, and recognition was, just as the community itself, informal
peer recognition. You could go in and out at any time without any adverse
effect to your reputation or status.

Though, times are different, first, there is formal community and todays kids
want some recognition like 'honor roll' that almost everybody can achieve
with work (no need for special qualification, talents and persistence), but
they want it now, not in 10 years.

To bring them in any online community has to offer some not so hard to achieve
recognition, and more than that, has to develop different levels of
recognition, recognition for different activities (IRC, mail list help, wiki,
popularization, etc), etc.

It means also that there is need to encourage people to start maintaining
project, not as it is now to disappear without any consequence.

I would like that everybody look in
http://en.opensuse.org/Code_of_Conduct#Bibliography
it may bring us to some common ground.

I had time to read http://shirky.com/writings/group_enemy.html
and it seems, by the symptoms, that we are entering phase where more formal
stuff has to be introduced to keep people working in interest of community,
not to brake it down. To feel responsible for actions.

If there are other, or better, articles about online communities, specially
those around opensource development I would like to read them too.

BTW, as I check recent changes on openSUSE wiki daily, I can see increase in
number of people that create personal pages, ie. don't want to be anonymous.
I guess that this trend has something to do with recent actions.

--
Regards, Rajko.
See http://en.opensuse.org/Portal