Re: [opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-factory] status report distribution week 5
  • From: Volker Kuhlmann <list0570@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 17:57:58 +1300
On Sun 10 Feb 2008 17:31:21 NZDT +1300, Bryen wrote:

I admit that I favor acroread as well. However, I would be hesitant to
term it as a must. There are several other pdf file readers available
that are all open-source, such as Evince, KPDF, Kghostview, etc.

There are only 2: ghostscript, and xpdf. All others are based on either
of these 2, meaning they have a different GUI on top of the same pdf
parser.

Contrary to what most people assume, pdf is not a standard/file format
owned by Adobe. They just did a very good job of making it appear as
such. If you're a purist, there are alternative options.

You misunderstand. True, PDF is an open format. But acroread is the
de-facto reference implementation. If it works in acroread then that is
all you're gonna get, never mind whether it's a "proper" PDF or not. And
there are heaps of PDFs which just crash in ghostscript, esp with the
years-old ghostscript version used by CUPS and shipped by all Linux
vendors (yes, no new ghostscript since SUSE 9.3). And there are enough
PDFs which don't work well, and some not at all, in xpdf. They all work
in acroread.

Acroread is a last resort, but a must-have last resort. Even if it
drives me nuts when I have to use it.

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann is list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/ Please do not CC list postings to me.