Re: [opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-factory] status report distribution week 5
  • From: Bryen <suseROCKS@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 22:31:21 -0600

On Sun, 2008-02-10 at 12:40 +1300, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
On Fri 08 Feb 2008 12:44:02 NZDT +1300, Martin Schlander wrote:

My heart says screw the evil crap, but my brain says it's a good idea to
keep
the division with FOSS CDs (albeit with wlan firmware) on one hand and on
the
other hand the "mixed source" dvd5 that "just works out of the box". This
way
we have something for everyone.

Very well expressed. I'd love to stuff various pieces of binary-only
software down the bit drain too, but it's not realistically possible.
Java, acroread and flash are a must. A big bonus of SUSE has always been
the ease of installation - flick in a disk, push buttons, have coffee,
done. I can see the purists' point, but I don't like to see the
1-disk-install feature disappear.

Volker

I admit that I favor acroread as well. However, I would be hesitant to
term it as a must. There are several other pdf file readers available
that are all open-source, such as Evince, KPDF, Kghostview, etc.
Contrary to what most people assume, pdf is not a standard/file format
owned by Adobe. They just did a very good job of making it appear as
such. If you're a purist, there are alternative options.

Bryen