Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Membership: a general comment
  • From: "Francis Giannaros" <francis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 15:34:30 +0000
On Feb 9, 2008 12:22 PM, Thomas Hertweck <Thomas.Hertweck@xxxxxx> wrote:
Francis,

please read my response to Pascal's email. I think I disagree with you
when it comes to the criteria of membership.

Francis Giannaros wrote:
[...]
The guiding principles are a set of principles that we want people in
the community to abide by. In general, they're pretty much common
sense. You shouldn't be surprised that a community will ask you to
abide by their rules if you want to be in it.

Exactly, they are common sense, so why do I have to sign them?

Who said you *had* to sign them? I haven't seen that stated anywhere,
and it's obviously not the idea: no-one's going to force you to leave
if you don't sign them. Why should you sign them if you're in the
openSUSE community is another question. Personally I think people in
the community should in order to show their support for the ideals
that we try to adhere to.

As
mentioned in an earlier email thread about code of conduct, I can't
see that signing documents etc. changes anything. I've been part of
the (at that time) SuSE community since 1996, I don't think I have
to sign any document to stay a member of this community.

You can still be part of the community, or a "member" in a looser
sense, but you cannot be an "openSUSE member" in terms of the criteria
we have defined. That is because we want to know that you adhere and
agree to the principles which the community values and holds, if you
are going to be representing the project. It really doesn't seem in
the slightest bit unreasonable.

You can't mix technical considerations with more abstract community
considerations. That doesn't make sense. Of course a subscription to
mailing lists is necessary, or an account with proper permissions to
upload files - that's a technical necessity. A community membership
isn't, so please don't try to mix those two things.

None of what you have said counters my point, even if my analogy is in
a different field (though, really, it isn't anyway). The point here
was clear: membership is practical, makes sense, and an easy umbrella
to group active openSUSE contributors who we feel should in some way
represent the project.

The fact that it "alienates" people is no different to the fact that
we give some people upload rights to certain things, and we don't to
others.

Regards,
--
Francis Giannaros http://francis.giannaros.org