Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Membership: a general comment
  • From: Thomas Hertweck <Thomas.Hertweck@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 12:22:39 +0000
Francis,

please read my response to Pascal's email. I think I disagree with you
when it comes to the criteria of membership.

Francis Giannaros wrote:
[...]
The guiding principles are a set of principles that we want people in
the community to abide by. In general, they're pretty much common
sense. You shouldn't be surprised that a community will ask you to
abide by their rules if you want to be in it.

Exactly, they are common sense, so why do I have to sign them? As
mentioned in an earlier email thread about code of conduct, I can't
see that signing documents etc. changes anything. I've been part of
the (at that time) SuSE community since 1996, I don't think I have
to sign any document to stay a member of this community. The reason
why I am not in favour of your current membership approach is
summarized in my reply to Pascal's email.

[...]
Seems like an emotive piece of text with no real substantiation.
Giving upload rights to only a specific set of people is alienating
too, but it's pretty practical. So is membership.

You can't mix technical considerations with more abstract community
considerations. That doesn't make sense. Of course a subscription to
mailing lists is necessary, or an account with proper permissions to
upload files - that's a technical necessity. A community membership
isn't, so please don't try to mix those two things.

Regards,
Thomas