Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Membership: a general comment
  • From: Roger Whittaker <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 12:17:25 +0000
On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 11:59:13AM +0100, Pascal Bleser wrote:

Roger Whittaker wrote:

[...]

Thanks for a very complete and thoughtful reply.

A couple of points I'd like to make:

[...]

Again, note that the board never said that the "membership" is the
system to be used for elections. Benjamin wrote that twice at least ;)

The web page says: "One of the missions of the board is to define a
process to elect the next board." It's a difficult problem to solve,
and if the "members" are not the electorate, who is? On the other hand
if the electorate does consist of the members, the serious criticism
previously noted stands.

I think there are good reasons for concern about the fallout from
any such process, and how this should be handled needs to be
thought through now, rather than when it is too late and damage
has been done.

True, but I'm afraid that at this point, you're going to have to put
some trust into the board doing things properly ;)

I'm absolutely not expressing a lack of trust in the Board by raising
this question.

That's exactly why I started a new thread with the intention of making
this a more "philosophical" meta-discussion of the problems of
organisations in general rather than the details of this one.

But I was pointing out that like all organisations and human
institutions, openSUSE will have to face the problem of what to do
when its members speak or behave in incorrect ways. And when it
happens (it's a "when, not an "if") there is danger of a lot of
unpleasant fallout and publicity for the project as a whole.

[...]