Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Membership: a general comment
  • From: "Benji Weber" <b.weber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 01:57:00 +0000
On 09/02/2008, Cornelius Schumacher <cschum@xxxxxxx> wrote:
It's new to me that the membership which was announced is also meant to form
the body who elects the board.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. This is not a stated aim of the membership
system. I was just trying to illustrate that there are uses for a
membership system. Future elections is just one example.

This obviously would be a situation which is less than optimal. As the
condition for becoming a member is the approval of the board, the board would
effectively assemble the people for its own election. This would look like a
bug in the rules to me. I'm not implying any bad intentions, just pointing
out that it's not a good way to do these things in general, regardless of who
is in charge.

This seems to be a problem inherent to any hierarchical organisation.
Either you allow anyone to vote and elections skewed by malicious
parties, or you control who can and are in danger of influencing the
election. Most democracies have restrictions on who can vote. e.g.
citizens of a country, not those in prison, etc. Even if the
membership is selected by the board they can not control outcome of a
vote if the ballot is secret. Membership process could always be
altered in the future to allow nominations from other members as in
other projects.

--
Benjamin Weber