Re: [opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-factory] status report distribution week 5
  • From: Michael Loeffler <michl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 12:32:58 +0100
On Friday 08 February 2008, Martin Schlander wrote:
Torsdag den 7. Februar 2008 10:52:52 skrev Benji Weber:
There are two things to decide:

1: Should we remove all non-free software which restricts redistribution.
2: Should we remove all non-free software and have a completely pure
system.

The only proprietary packages that I think are really significant are Sun
Java, Adobe Flash and the wlan firmware blobs. Do any of these packages
prohibit redistribution? If not, I'm for keeping them on the dvd5.
I just checked with our legal team. firmware blobs doesn't but Adobe Flash and
acroread prohibit redistribution. With Java its pretty tricky as larger parts
are under the Distributor License for Java (DLJ) and some uses and older Sun
Binary Licence which doesn't allow redisribution.

My heart says screw the evil crap, but my brain says it's a good idea to
keep the division with FOSS CDs (albeit with wlan firmware) on one hand and
on the other hand the "mixed source" dvd5 that "just works out of the box".
This way we have something for everyone.

Michael Löffler, Product Management