Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Membership
  • From: "Francis Giannaros" <francis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 19:48:36 +0000
On Feb 6, 2008 4:14 PM, Cornelius Schumacher <cschum@xxxxxxx> wrote:
One of the first things that the openSUSE board have been working on
is getting some clear acknowledgment through for all good openSUSE
contributors. The result of this can be seen through what we think of
as "openSUSE Members"[0].

I'm happy that there is now a defined way to get an opensuse.org mail address.
That's good.

We hope that this will further distinguish active and helpful
contributors to openSUSE, and in doing so bring the openSUSE community
closer together.

I'm also very much in favor of giving active contributors recognition. We have
great examples how this can work, e.g. the "People of openSUSE" series.

But I'm a bit concerned about tying this to the status of a "member" of the
project. openSUSE is an open and inclusive project. People should feel like
members when they are taking part in the community. I don't think this should
require any formal approval. This feels like an additional barrier which goes
against our desire to grow the community.

Being an open, global project is certainly the top thing on the list,
and nothing should detract from that. We should always be open and
accessible to others -- and in fact I think the idea of membership
only complements this. Nearly all open source projects have something
similar to this (like KDE e.V.). What we do need to keep an eye with
things like this is that the process and requirements are transparent.
I want to work on making it even more transparent, and the current
method should definitely be seen as a "beginning" with serious
consideration later on how well it scales, how appropriate it is, etc.
There shouldn't be anything secret, exclusive, or bureaucratic about
it.

We should work hard to make everyone feel involved instantly, and we
should definitely distinguish and acknowledge the active and helpful
contributors. The point is never to imply that only those who are
members are part of the community -- on the contrary, everyone
involved in anything related is part of the community, and
'membership' is just an umbrella for those active contributors who it
would be fitting to give i.e. o.o addresses and cloaks to, and who for
example we might see as representatives of the openSUSE project.

Kind thoughts,
--
Francis Giannaros http://francis.giannaros.org