Re: [opensuse-project] KDE-LIVE-CD, very bad impressions
  • From: Gerald Pfeifer <gp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 03:00:00 +0100 (CET)
On Sat, 10 Nov 2007, Daniele wrote:
Don't release iso with know bugs.

Well, if we strictly followed this advice we'd never, ever see a new
openSUSE release. :-)

A distribution comprising software on the order of a couple of hundred
millions lines of source code always will have bugs, both unknown and
known. It's the art of release management to steer in the right
direction, let in what's beneficial and block the rest, and know
when it's Good Enough[TM]

As someone who has been doing this job in the past (alas for SLES, not
openSUSE) I can tell you this is far from easy a job and Coolo has my
full respect and trust. When to carve a release always is a judgement
call and known bugs are just one factor, even if an important one.

Gerald
--
Dr. Gerald Pfeifer E gp@xxxxxxxxxx SUSE Linux Products GmbH
Director Inbound Product Mgmt T +49(911)74053-0 HRB 16746 (AG Nuremberg)