Re: [opensuse-project] KDE-LIVE-CD, very bad impressions
  • From: Maciej Pilichowski <macias@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 13:46:21 +0100
Hello,

there is only one product, constantly evolving.
In that case MS still will be "evolving" windows 3.11 or DOS,

I thought it was clear -- you as a user could get Windows Vista (if
you like MS example) or get Win 1.0 (or Win95 -- anything released)
and apply _all_ updates to make this Vista (it could be possible that
one of the latest updates would mean "download 80% of Vista" and it
would be also possible that 90% of downloads are not necessary
because the older one is replaced by newer).

That's not the natural way technology evolves, to improve certain
areas ,

I differ in opinion.

major changes has to be done,

Do it then -- but not all changes at once.

old stuff simple becomes
unmanteniable quickly and the manteniance costs go uphill in such a
way that becomes impossible to manage.

There is no conflict here -- minimum upgrade 20070413 is required to
run XYZ.

Im still wondering how you think such thing has to be implemented
in the real world , where human and monetary resources are limited
,where you have to sell NEW things to pay the bills and fullfill
constantly evolving requirements.

Money -- "releases", support, updates. Even if it would be technically
possible to get updates from 10 years back to get latest state of the
system I would doubt that anyone would like to do it -- instead of
getting/buying fresh "release". And for quality product people tend
to like to pay.

In short , your proposed scenario is not very realistic.

IMHO it is realistic and while I can't say it is better that current
one (because it was not tried), but the current one is failing more
and more -- you can still live with it and wait for "surprise" or you
can anticipate that it does not have (technically speaking) chance to
be successful _AND_ at the same time possible to maintain. Currently
it is hardly maintained (supported I should rather say) just because,
well, it is not successful. You cannot get both with today's model.

have a nice day, bye
--
Maciej Pilichowski