Re: [opensuse-project] KDE-LIVE-CD, very bad impressions
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 11:16:59 +0100
Am Donnerstag 08 November 2007 schrieb Daniele:
Il giovedì 8 novembre 2007, Stephan Kulow scrisse:
Am Mittwoch 07 November 2007 schrieb Daniele:
I'm a "suser" since 6.0 and now I'm bored to surf the net and read
bad things about my favorite distro. This release doesn't help
much, the whole project I mean..

No problem, read the good things and be happy:
http://wadejolson.wordpress.com/2007/11/07/wait-whats-going-on-here/

Good reviews are lesser then bad..
http://news.opensuse.org/?p=489 here too...

Everyone has have a complaint about something else. I can't see a common
pattern. Some want a DVD, others want a faster download. So what is your
conclusion - provide a supercompressed DVD?

I'm not sure where you're heading. You still believe it's possible to create a
product everyone is happy with? I'm sorry it has to be me telling you the
truth of the world: people are different.

What are the bad reviews bugs you want to see fixed? Have they a
bugzilla entry?

http://en.opensuse.org/Reviews/10_3/Comments
and never minds if some of them are false, partially true or whatever..

http://en.opensuse.org/Distro_Inspirations
it seems that other distro do a lot of things better..

For me 10.3 is a good release but after 10.1 (AKA zmd-disaster), 10.2
(AKA The day after: the hope) a "good" release is not enough and
live-cd are not so good...

It's easy to find post/blog entry like: suse i slow, suse doesn't have a
good package manager (partially true..), opensuse is beta-testing for
commercial version, installer is slow, missing this, doesn't do that
and so on..
I know. And as with 10.3 we'll try to work on fixing the biggest complaints
for 11.0 and you're very welcome to help out. But 10.3 is done.

Having said that, releasing a new live CD with the fixes shortly before
christmas is very much possible. It will still have a slower package manager
than debian though. It's something where we can improve for 11.0, but it's
nothing we have to be take down 10.3 for.

Greetings, Stephan