Re: [opensuse-project] KDE-LIVE-CD, very bad impressions
  • From: Maciej Pilichowski <macias@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 15:36:26 +0100
Hello,

I am merging several answers.

I have adopted the
policy of keeping my /home partition separate from my root
partition, then simply formatting the root partition and installing
the new version freshly over it. It's worked out well (and I
noticed that 10.3 by default wants to split / and /home into two
partitions!).

It won't help in my case:
a) I have to select packages to install just as while upgrade
b) I have to restore configuration just as while upgrade

I don't like the idea of an incremental upgrade on OpenSUSE, mostly
because of the lack of publicity it generates.

?

With a
set release schedule you keep a flow of positive news going out on
a fairly regular basis.

Yes you will found a big element of surprise if your concept of
"incremental upgrade" is what you described on the thread "opensuse
upgrade: newer, faster, worse".
The surprise is :"it will not work at all".

I think we don't understand each other. The schedule would be like
this:
a) new features in yast
b) release
c) fix bugs
d) new features in kernel
e) release
d) fix bugs
and so on.

Current release everything -> upgrade can (and it does) change a lot
things in system. There are so many that it is hard to reproduce for
developers, they are so many it is hard to report them, etc.

And I don't see how releasing just new package manager for current
system is worse than release the same package manager but with new
kernel, installer, KDE, Gnome and thousands of other packages. If new
package manager does not work it won't work with the rest as well.

And again -- focusing on selected software would help, keeping
thousands of packages is asking for trouble (imho).

I have a strong feeling that the first approach is exactly what
SLED does, while we live on the "bleeding edge" of things.

Good news then, but I don't have chance to really test SLED -- by test
I mean install version X and wait how upgrade to Y works.

I've always gone by the mantra that I should have my production
systems at least one version back, unless the current version is
very stable.

Very true. But this is probably good for system administrator, for
desktop users this policy should be more restrictive. Clone the
system, install it on another computer, do upgrade, evaluate, then
upgrade for real or not.

have a nice day, bye
--
Maciej Pilichowski