Re: [opensuse-ppc] Re: [opensuse-arm] [ml-admin] Merging the architecture lists to opensuse-arch
On Thu, October 27, 2011 9:44 am, Richard (MQ) wrote:
On 26/10/11 19:19, Joop Boonen wrote:
On Wed, October 26, 2011 3:25 pm, Andreas Färber wrote:
Hi,

Am 26.10.2011 15:04, schrieb Henne Vogelsang:
On 26.10.2011 14:58, Adrian Schröter wrote:
Am Mittwoch, 26. Oktober 2011, 14:29:57 schrieb Henne Vogelsang:

we are currently trying to reduce the amount of communication
channels
we provide. Because of this I would like to merge the 4 architecture
lists into one list called opensuse-arch.

If nobody objects until the 15th of November 12:00 UTC I will merge
the
lists. You don't have to do anything except rewriting your filter if
you
use one.

I would definitive unsubscribe from such a list if the majority of
mails is
not interessting for me.

The ppc, amd64 and ia64 lists didn't have any traffic in 2010 and
2011.
I would like to have some point for people to go for non x86
architecture specific stuff.

There was some recent activity to revive ppc openSUSE, so if arm stays
ppc should probably stay as well.
amd64 is mainstream now, so that's different I guess.

I agree.

I think it's best to have separate mailing lists for different
architectures.

I think traffic wise it also safes bandwidth. Only people that are
interested in a specific mailing list will get this mail and not
traffic
they don't want.

The ppc mailing list will be very interesting again when the AmigaOne
X1000 and Netbook will be released.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AmigaOne_X1000
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=781936
If this ends up in an active mailing list where also ARM resides it's
difficult to filter, I'm subscribed to both.

If / when the AmigaOne X1000 arrives there will certainly be a new PPC
platform, but whether we can persuade the community to re-start the PPC
version of openSuSE Linux is another matter entirely. FWIW, the argument
for dropping it a few years back was that the usage had dwindled to
insignificant numbers (ISTR around 20 downloads / month) - I couldn't
really argue with that.

My expectation is that there won't be another official PPC version at
all, though maybe we'll have enough momentum for an unofficial one - in
which case retention of this list will be vindicated. It all depends on
whether the machine is ever launched - time will tell.

Meantime a merged list seems to me to be the wrong way to go: keep lists
that are active or might reasonably be expected to become so and kill
the others, effectively merging into -project and -factory.

Why not be the distro that also invites people who want to try other
distro's?
If you look at other distro's they are more inviting for people who want
to try other distro's.
http://lists.debian.org/ports.html

Why not even add a opensuse-mips mailing-list for people in for instance
China who would like to work on a Loongson/Godson port.
I think this will pull more hardware gurus to our distro.

I think our current limiting approach set us behind other distro's on
supported archs. This is something we see now in the arm port. This might
happen again when another important architecture would appear.

I think we should get rid of the opensuse-amd86 mailing-list as it's x86.

One other thing I also don't understand is. WE currently build all ppc
packages as Factory. Why don't we also build a the iso's for the current
version, with the extra label unstable (so 12.1-unstable-ppc).

Now a newbie that is interested in openSuSE on his old Mac won't be able
to install openSuSE ppc due to the lack of a DVD. And therefor will move
on to another distro.

--
Cheers
Richard (MQ)