Re: [suse-ppc] Problems booting openSUSE
  • From: Olaf Hering <olh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 22:45:44 +0200
On Thu, Sep 01, Andreas del Galdo wrote:

> Would somebody help me, and give just a little step-by-step
> description how I get this drive bootable, to start to my newly
> installed openSUSE?

The firmware can not load files from an USB device. All you can do is:
copy yaboot and yaboot.conf to a bootable partition and load them
manually from the OpenFirmware command line prompt, like 'boot hd:9,yaboot'.

Boot into the installed Linux system on your USB drive.
If your macos partition is hda9, do this (assuming its HFS+ without
journaling):

add usb-storage to KERNEL_MODULES in /etc/sysconfig/kernel and run
mkinitrd.

create a /root/yaboot.conf like this:

timeout=123
default=linux
image=hd:9,vmlinux
initrd=hd:9,initrd
append="root=/dev/sda1 quiet sysrq=1"
label=linux

mount -t hfsplus /dev/hda9 /mnt
cp -vL /boot/initrd /boot/vmlinux /lib/lilo/pmac/yaboot /root/yaboot.conf /mnt
umount /mnt

If you have a small HFS partition on your internal disk, lilo will do
all the above for you. An example /etc/lilo.conf could look like this

boot=/dev/hda10
timeout=123
default=macos
activate
image=/boot/vmlinux
initrd=/boot/initrd
label=linux
append="root=/dev/sda1 quiet sysrq=1"
copy
other=/dev/hda9
label=macos

The 'copy' option will copy the vmlinux and initrd to the HFS partition
where the firmware can load it.

Let me know if that works for you.