Re: [opensuse-packaging] Orphaned files galore
On 12/6/19 6:08 PM, Michael Matz wrote:
Running on my Leap 15.1 system, it found quite a number of symlinks and
directories and files that are not owned by any package. For example,

/usr/lib64/libreoffice/share/config/images_sifr.zip

(Not trying to steal your thunder) An alternative for GUI lovers is
qdirstat from Stefan Hundhammer. It can show the same graphically
(File/Show unpackaged files...), including the usual features of it, like
treemap and friends. (FWIW, I have only about 2000 unpackaged files below
/usr :-) )

I would prefer to not have any thunder - this should list no or very few
files ;) I wasn't aware of the GUI tool but it's nice someone else
thought this is a problem.

While my example with rpm may be a little funny and debatable, there is
at least *one* file that it should own,

/usr/lib/sysimage/rpm/.rpm.lock

Nevertheless, the purpose here is that we have a lot of bugs in packages
and the system installation can become inconsistent. At least there is
no guarantee that an installed system is behaving correctly if we have
these untracked files installed.

/usr/lib/systemd/scripts/.migrate-sysconfig-i18n.sh~done

hmmmm..

- Adam

PS. I've renamed this tiny program to
https://github.com/AdamMajer/rpm-orphan-files