Re: [opensuse-packaging] Orphaned files galore
Jan Engelhardt schrieb:

On Monday 2019-12-09 09:42, Ludwig Nussel wrote:

More interestingly, rpm itself doesn't own its own files either.

/usr/lib/sysimage/rpm/.rpm.lock
/usr/lib/sysimage/rpm/Basenames
/usr/lib/sysimage/rpm/Conflictname
/usr/lib/sysimage/rpm/Dirnames
/usr/lib/sysimage/rpm/Enhancename

That is quite expected. I would not expect to lose the actual databases.
`rpm -e rpm` should not remove (what was once) /var/lib/rpm,
`rpm -e mariadb` should not remove /var/lib/mysql, and
`rpm -e postfix` should not delete my mails.

I can see the case for removing rpm *and* the database
in order to e.g. strip down container images. Which situation do you
envision where you would want to remove the package but keep the db?

When you are installing an alternative by way of splitting deletion and new
install into two separate transactions (sometimes that is possible,
sometimes there is a Require on e.g. smtp_daemon or whatever that inhibits
it in the first step, but still.).

Referring to any package except rpm I guess. I meant rpm specifically.
There is no alternative implementation that would use the rpmdb AFAIK :-)

cu
Ludwig

--
(o_ Ludwig Nussel