Re: [opensuse-packaging] On how to improve Rust packaging experience for suse
On Fri, 22 Nov 2019, William Brown wrote:

On 22 Nov 2019, at 03:04, Alberto Planas Dominguez <aplanas@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thursday, November 21, 2019 8:40:19 AM CET Richard Biener wrote:

[cut a lot here]

From the start of the thread I remember there were two conflicting
things - first packaging where vendoring seems to work and while
it's not ideal it's probably going to be what we need to do due
to being "slow". I interpret your above sentences as that this
is intended to work this way.

Then there's the need of a developer using Rust (but not necessarily
packaging software for a distro) who wants the latest and greatest.
I've suggested we provide means to easily bootstrap such upstream
Rust - and you've indicated that yes, indeed, thats supported and
even the way it is supposed to work, but there's no openSUSE "package"
to start this (in Factor).

What is wrong on the idea of having two compilers: the system one used for
the
distribution, and the one that can be updated and expected to be used by
developers.

Another idea is to have one single compiler, the system-wide one, and
provide
a rustup binary that the developer can use to install rust and cargo on the
users $HOME. Dany Marcoux already submitted the package, but later was
closed.

I personally prefer the 2 compiler idea, tho, but this is irrelevant.

The 2 compiler idea is kind of a problem? I have a version on my machine
that I was developing with (1.39.0), and encountered version (1.36.0) on
leap which didn't have a feature I required.

Of course this happens with C++ language features evolving as well.
And we _do_ have multiple(!) GCC C++ compilers around, also specifically
to address this problem. So I see no problem with having multiple
rust compilers around.

Richard.

--
Richard Biener <rguenther@xxxxxxx>
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5, 90409 Nuernberg,